Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Swim Team, Miranda July


Written almost as a confession to her ex, the narrator recounts a year spent in Belvedere where she takes on the identity of a swim coach in a city with no place to swim. In her living room, with bowls of water placed beneath the faces of her three enthusiastic students, gives swimming lessons.

I know it's hard for you to imagine me as someone called 'Coach.' I had a very different identity in Belvedere, that's why it was so difficult to talk about it with you. I never had a boyfriend there; I didn't make art, I wasn't artistic at all. I was kind of a jock. I was totally a jock - I was the coach of a swim team. If I had thought this would be at all interesting to you I would have told you earlier, and maybe we would still be going out.



"Miranda July's characters are so unafraid to be human, it hurts. But from the pain, magic emerges, and in that magic is the essence of what it means to be human."
-Mark Flanagan

No comments:

Post a Comment